Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Fr. Bob Warren;s Week Reflection: Blindness

Franciscan Friars
Blindness
(John 9:1-41)

Last week's gospel about the woman at the well has a lot in common with today's gospel about the man who was born blind. First, in both cases, Jesus takes the initiative. He reaches out first. Second, in both instances Jesus breaks the law. Last week, it was not normal for a Jew to stop at a Samaritan town. It was against the law for Him to be alone with this woman, especially, a woman of her reputation. And Jews and Samaritans never would share a cup. The Samaritan woman even says, "You, a Jew, ask me for a drink? You do not even have a cup."
In the case of the blind man, Jesus is breaking the most sacred rule of the Jews. He heals on the Sabbath. Blindness is difficult to cure, but it is also difficult to diagnose. One man brushes his young daughter away when she wants to show him her school work. Can't you see I am trying to watch a game? Another father is so overwhelmed by his love for his daughter, he writes the song, "Isn't She Lovely" in her honor. His name is Stevie Wonder, the blind singer. Which man truly sees his daughter, and which man is blind? A man ignores his wife. She wants to know if he still thinks she is attractive. She wants to talk to him. She wants him to listen to her. His response is, "Have you washed my golf shirt yet?" Another husband is so overwhelmed by his love for his wife that he writes her a love song. "You are so beautiful to me... You are everything I hoped for, you are everything I need, you are so beautiful to me." That song was written by another blind man, Ray Charles. Which man is blind?
A woman sits in church during Mass. The Word of God is spoken; the Bread of Life is broken. She is thinking, "I wonder what I should fix for lunch. Just look at that woman's coat. I'll bet it is not real fur." Another woman sat in church. She was blind from birth. Her name is Fanny Crosby. She later wrote these words about the Mass. "Perfect submission, perfect delight, visions of rapture, now burst on my sight." Which woman truly experienced worship?
Our gospel text features this very same irony concerning blindness in its various forms. The man is born blind, but healed by Jesus. The Pharisees are born sighted, but move to spiritual blindness. And so, we ask in this gospel, who is truly blind? What kind of blindness is hardest to heal?
You notice how many times in this chapter that someone begins a statement with a phrase... we know. But in truth, they did not know, and all through the story, we see the Pharisees become increasingly blind. Blind to the Son of God who stood in front of them. This is the hardest blindness to heal, not the man blind from birth, but the men blind by choice. Why would anyone choose to be blind by choice? Perhaps because you can get used to the darkness, just as you can get used to the light. Many of us have blind spots: blindness to racial prejudice, blindness to what goes on in the company we work for, blindness to the needs of others, especially those closest to us.
There was another time that Jesus cured a blind man. This time the man came to Jesus, knelt before Him and spoke a prayer that we might want to whisper now and again. He simply said, "Lord, let me see." Let me see the things I need to see, the people I have hurt, the wrongs I have done. Let me see your goodness to me. Let me experience your love for me. At all times, in all places. Lord, let me see.
Fr. Robert Warren
Yours in Christ,
Fr. Robert Warren Signature
Fr. Robert Warren, S.A.
Spiritual Director
Franciscan Friars
Franciscan Friars of the Atonement
www.AtonementFriars.org
GRAYMOOR P.O. Box 301, Garrison, NY 10524
For more information, call us at 888-720-8247.
© 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment